Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pizza Perfection

My very first job was at a local pizza shop known as Paulanjo's Pizza. In my opinion they make the very best pizza. I have always tried to make a better homemade pizza but have always fallen short.


Yesterday, however, I found the perfect dough and sauce recipe combination and created the best regular soft crust pizza I have ever had. Not only is it good, but it's super inexpensive and super easy and quick. Both recipes come from The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn. Give it a try and tell me what you think!

Sauce Recipe: Covers one 14-inch pizza
1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine all the ingredients. 

Dough Recipe: makes one 14-inch pizza
1/4 c warm water
1 tbsp dry yeast (one packet)
1 tsp sugar
2 c flour
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c warm water

Combine 1/4 cup warm water with yeast and sugar and let set for 5 minutes. 

Combine flour, oil, and salt in a food processor for 5 seconds with a steel blade. Add in yeast and process for 10 seconds. 

Turn on processor and slowly drizzle into feed tube just enough water until dough forms a ball that cleans the sides of the bowl (the slower you drizzle the better the ball forms). 

Continue to process until ball turns around 25 times. 

Cover dough with plastic wrap and let stand 10 minutes. 

Stretch out the dough onto a pan, spread with sauce, top with cheese and toppings and bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. (Note - I usually check the pizza by sliding my pizza cutter under the crust and lifting to be sure the underside of the center of the crust is golden brown.)

I used a thick grated mozzarella cheese as it seems to melt better. A mozzarella-romano-provolone mixture has the best flavor, if you don't mind grating as I have not yet found a thick grated mix like that for a good price.

Next time it's pizza night, try making your own! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jennifer Cornell said...

I make my own dough but its not soft like Paulanjo's. I am SOOO going to try this one next time I make pizza. Thanks so much!!!

Tracy:D said...

What if we don't have a food processor? :0/ Can I come borrow yours??? lol